Traditional traffic measurement solutions typically produce spot-like data. However, traditional measurements do very little to advance a more comprehensive understanding of the traffic system. The solution developed by Nodeon focuses particularly on the diverse analysis of traffic flows, in addition to traditional measurement data.
Traditional traffic measurement solutions produce spot-specific data on vehicle volumes and possibly vehicle type classification. Most situations call for more information. For example, which areas do the vehicles that put the most burden on the measurement point come from, or what is the proportion of low-emission vehicles?
Nodeon has developed a traffic flow measurement and analysis solution which combines traditional register identification technology and the data in the possession of public authorities. The result is a new, diverse set of traffic flow analyses:
- Vehicle volumes and categories of vehicles
- Origin area analysis of traffic flows (by, for example, postal code, city, region)
- Emission analysis (CO2)
- Motive power analysis
- Vehicular age analysis
- Breakdown of vehicle make/model
Real-time heatmap presentation of a traffic flow’s departure areas in the Nodeon Smart City
Nodeon’s solution is particularly applicable in the following research cases:
- As background material for the design of traffic systems (the most burdened areas, the optimum assignment of public transport services and cyclist routes, user profiles for park-and-ride points, the impact of dynamic sign placements)
- Before and after measurements (vehicles from which area show changes in behaviour due to a new ring road or bridge, what the impact is of public transport development on private motoring per area)
- The monitoring of changes that take place over time (monitoring the behaviour of traffic flows during traffic system changes, monitoring of changes in vehicular emissions and motive powers)
- “Hotspot” measurements of interesting transportation hubs (such as commercial districts, employment areas, harbours)
- Customer analyses. Shops and shopping centres can review their customers’ departure areas and plan marketing on the basis of such data. The changes identified with the help of the measurements allow for the efficient monitoring marketing impacts.
The traffic flow measurement and analysis service can be implemented in one of two ways:
Fixed measurements. For the measurement and analysis of a continuous traffic flow over a longer period of time and for monitoring changes therein. The measuring equipment is typically sold to the customer and plugged into an electricity connection. The Smart City cloud solution, which performs the analyses, is used on a service basis.
Temporary measurements as a service. In this model, a temporary measurement will be carried out for the customer with measurement equipment which is entirely self-sufficient in terms of energy and productised by Nodeon. The customer does not need to invest in hardware or be concerned with power and data communication connections.